Green Business Bureau Blog
Green Tips: Recycling
According to the EPA website, recycling aluminum cans saves 95% of the energy needed to make aluminum from bauxite ore. Almost everything we use in our offices can be recycled, including printed paper, used ink cartridges, empty cartons and old computers and printers.
Here are 5 simple tips from the Green Business Bureau to help your business recycle:
1) Get the iRecycle App. This is a simple app that helps you find a recycling facility near you.
2) Place clearly labeled recycling bins around the office. Provide separate bins for plastic, metal, glass and paper if your recycling system is not single-stream.
3) Place bins strategically. Easily accessible recycling bins are more likely to be used. Place a paper-recycling bin near the printer and aluminum/plastic/glass recycling bin in kitchen and break room.
4) Recycle hardware carefully. Take used batteries, old computers and printers to a certified electronic recycling facility.
5) Select a recycling coordinator. As with other programs, accountability is important. Choose a recycling coordinator who would be responsible for dropping off the recycled material at the right locations, encouraging and educating other employees about benefits of recycling. The recycling coordinator can also reward employees who recycle most with a free lunch, day off, etc.
Learn more about starting a workplace recycling program from the experts at Green Irene.